Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reflections

Kenzie turned ten months this week. While we were at a function with Jared's co-workers, one of them asked me a few times if my life had changed since we had a baby. He has 8 kids so he definitely knows how life changes with children, but his question made me stop and think about how life has changed. I am grateful for each stage of my life and the lessons that I have learned at each juncture, but I can definitely say that this is the best time of my life. Having said that, I thought it would be fun to share some of the crazy ways life has changed since having a baby and becoming a full-time mom.
  • Becoming (or realizing that I always have been) a complete germ-a-phobe, and worse, having turned my husband into one
  • Have started picking someone else's nose and become almost compulsive about it (who knew such a little person could have so many boogers?)
  • Thinking about poo (baby poo that is)----frequently. Worry when there isn't any and then pray that it will stop once it comes
  • Feeling a sense of accomplishment if Kenzie and I have both gotten ready for the day and the baby has had all of her meals and naps. Anything else getting done just adds to the joy.
  • "Spontaneous" outings or trips require a bunch of planning (essentially rendering them not spontaneous)
  • Having the day's and/or evening's activities revolve around meal times and bed time when, at one point in life, neither mattered nor even existed for that matter
  • No longer thinking we can go somewhere for even an hour without taking a bag of supplies for any type of emergency--i.e. clean clothes for all of us, diapers, wipes, food, Kleenex, extra binkis, etc.
  • Understanding that world leaders and business leaders are not the most powerful people in the world...a baby wields the greatest power and with one smile or cry can get anyone to do anything, no matter how insane or ridiculous
  • Now believing that the greatest discoveries in the history of the world are teething tablets and baby bouncy seats
  • Carrying a camera everywhere I go just in case there is a cute moment or "a first" to capture (even bought a new purse so I would have room for everything and the camera)
  • Having eight hours of conversation a day with someone who doesn't say one word back, but somehow carries their side of the conversation
  • Reading nutrition labels for natural products and no added sugar--for Kenzie of course. I still want all the sugar I can get...that hasn't changed unfortunately.
Anyway, just a few of the ways life has gotten more exciting since having a baby. Life is great and I'm really glad that my life has changed. I learn more on a daily basis about life and love and miracles and about what things are really important than I ever have.


Here is one of those "firsts" when the camera had to come out. Kenzie discovered magnets and how amazing they are. Way fun to watch her learn new things!

2 comments:

Clint, Mel & Kids said...

Kristee, I like your reflections. So true aren't they? Will you send me your email address so I can send you the directions for the baby blanket. Do you sew much?
Mel
clintr.francis@gmail.com

Denise said...

Amen to all of the above sister! I'm with ya on the germ thing, the baby full of everything, the naps, the food with natural sugar, how funny! Isn't life great.